58 minutes of Danai!!!!
Danai took part in a Q&A session at Awesome Con in DC this past April. Danai talked about her work as a playwright, her non-profit, Almasi Collaborative Arts and of course The Walking Dead, season 4.
Danai is so great on this panel. She seems genuinely pleased with the variety of questions asked and she took her time answering each one. She’s quite delightful. I always feel when she’s on other panels with the full cast we don’t get enough Danai time but here we have her on her own for 58 minutes! My favorite answer to a question is about who she thinks is the stronger leader - Michonne or Rick? She answers it beautifully. For the Richonners out there skip to the 39:56 mark to hear what she says.
Tell me what you think and enjoy!
The woman is amazing. I loved every second of it.
Danai Gurira fills Us in on 25 things you may not have known.
The Walking Dead star Danai Gurira, 36, fills Us Weekly in on 25 things you may not have known.
1. I was born in Iowa and raised in Zimbabwe
2. Surprisingly, I don’t watch horror movies since I don’t enjoy being scared.
3. My favorite dish to make is my famous “Fourth of July” lamb and goat-cheese burgers.
4. I met Nina Simone when I was 15. She visited Zimbabwe.
5. I’ve been trying to give up added sugar. It’s just so painful.
6. My first play was in seventh grade, called My Uncle Grey Bhonzo. I was the title role.
7. I love a good, traditional English breakfast. Grilled tomato and all.
8. My favorite stage role I’ve played is Isabella in Measure for Measure.
9. I love all of my zombie kills equally!
10. The best thing about shooting The Walking Dead in Georgia is the seclusion.
11. I really don’t like BBQ, but Fox Bros. in Atlanta is ridiculously good.
12. My first pet was a Rhodesian Ridgeback mix named Ace. She loved to chase cars — and thus her demise.
13. I live off of Jillian Michaels’ DVDs. She kicks my butt.
14. I don’t do coffee. Ever. It gives me the jitters.
15. If I could have dinner with someone who’s no longer with us, it would be Wangari Maathai or Nelson Mandela.
16. My new rescue dog is just a 15-pound gangsta.
17. If I could have one special power, it would be the ability to fly.
18. New York will always be my city. I go to this hole-in-the-wall place called Cafe Himalaya for astounding Tibetan food.
19. My favorite TV shows are Orange Is the New Black, House of Cards, Modern Family, and Veep.
20. I loved Breaking Bad. My dad’s a chemistry professor and Walter White reminded me of him, minus the bad bits.
21. Tennis is the only sport I crave to watch. I love it.
22. Familiar, the new play I wrote, opens in January. It’s inspired by my mom’s family. I’m kind of scared about their reaction!
23. I dig a great musical or Bollywood flick.
24. I’m an avid swimmer. I used to compete as a kid and hated to lose.
25. I have a very loud speaking voice. My friends in Zimbabwe call me “Megaphone.”
Tom and Lorenzo: WERQ: Danai Gurira in Christian Siriano at “The Walking Dead” Season 5 Premiere. ”So good, we don’t need verbs.”